Wednesday 20 April 2016

The Power of Storytelling: Megan's Experience


Megan has written for Student Minds 'Power of Storytelling' campaign using her own experiences to share her story.


Hello, my name is Megan and am a senior in college studying communications and hoping to work in the Mental Health field. I am a member and co-leader of Team Not Ashamed, a movement started by Rachel Griffen. The movement is to help others with their mental illness and all six girls that I run it with have suffered from some form of mental illness or another. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and have suffered depression in the past. Other than that, I work part time and spend my free time lifting weights, reading, writing, and trying to new things.

What inspired you to share your story?

I had been vocal about my battles with mental illness and finally started thinking about creating a blog for myself as an outlet. I shared my story on my WordPress and from there it grew. 

Has telling your story helped you?

It has defiantly. I am able to share my thoughts and feelings into a space where I can vent my frustrations but also help others. It has helped accept my anxiety and depression which was very hard for me to accept. 

Has telling your story helped anyone else?

Yes it has. Numerous friends of mine or high school friends have approached me talking about their struggles with mental illness. I joined Twitter around Jan of 2016 and started to channel my voice there and soon became involved with Team Not Ashamed. I began blogging more and I was getting positive feedback from so many people. I want to be the voice for others, those that are afraid to speak up about their mental illness. I believe mental illness is very important but society doesn’t see it so and looks at it like a stigma. I want to be get rid of that stigma. 

What did you find hardest about sharing your story?

I think the most daunting thing about sharing my story was being open to millions of people who view or had viewed my blog. But at the same time, I thought about the many people that I could help by sharing my story and that outweighed the apprehension of sharing it. 

Do you have any advice for someone who is thinking of sharing their story?


It is daunting but don’t be afraid. You’ll never realize the impact your voice and story could have on someone. I know it’s scary but it’s worth it. Take that chance and make your voice heard.




Are you interested in getting involved in The Power Of Storytelling Blog series? Please dont hesitate to get in touch blog@studentminds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment